Last Friday was TedX Detroit. I signed up as a volunteer at the registration table. I definitely didn't know that being a volunteer allowed me to sit in on all the talks as well as get a delicious meal.
Tacos = <3
I was absolutely amazed by the community and love that was present at this event. The rooms were filled with passionate doers from Detroit that want to make this city awesome.
I got to sit in on a few of the talks before eating lunch and having to leave.
(Josh didn't sign up to volunteer, so he came to pick me up.)
Here are some photos I took during the event.
This guy is David Tarver. He had an amazing story.
And, the initial company that he started decades ago (and sold years ago) has now reached over $1 BILLION in sales!
Follow him on Twitter at @DavidTarver
This band performed at the beginning of the session that I sat in on. They were pretty rad, so you should check them out. :)
Follow them on Twitter at @bugsthatglow
This is Neil. He was a very lively guy and had amazing ideas regarding transit in Detroit. We want good public transit! We want good public transit! Gah!
Freshwater Railway is his project, and it looks friggin' awesome!
Follow him on Twitter (@FWTransit) and give him some support!
This is Joshua Smith. This kid is so inspiring. I'm sure you may have heard about him in Time Magazine, or on the news. He set up a lemonade stand to raise money for his neighborhood park and he ended up raising over $3000. He's doing big thing, guys! Watch out.
You can learn more about him and what he's doing at his website.
Last but definitely not least, Andrae Townsel touched me the most.
He did most of his talk in spoken word poetry, and the words he was saying penetrated my soul.
For real.
His story is absolutely amazing, and he was someone I could absolutely relate to.
Check him out on Twitter (@draetown) -- I have a feeling that Detroit will be hearing more about this man in the future.
I had a blast and I learned a lot! I wish I could have stayed longer to meet people and hear more stories.
I look forward to the passion and business-minded folks here in Detroit making a difference. Technology is huge here, and the fashion industry is on the rise.
Get ready Detroit. It's happening.
xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment